If you feel overwhelmed by the vast array of colour choices out there then you’re not alone. Here at House Edit.ie we often find people make impulsive decisions when choosing paint colours simple because they don’t know how to narrow it down. In our How To Pick The Perfect Paint Colour video, we take you through our top tips which will help you avoid costly mistakes and will make the process a whole lot simpler.
Our Top Tips:
- Try not to make impulsive decisions in store. Instead take two or three colour cards home and begin the selection process there.
- Identify what activity happens in each space. The main activity in a bedroom for example is sleeping, so you need to think about restful, calming colours opposed to bright full chromo hues.
- Choosing grey? First identify if your room gets north or southern light. North facing rooms are notoriously dark, so avoid the cooler greys. South facing rooms are much better suited to cooler greys and warmer greys can look great too.
- Narrow it down. Try to select a maximum of three colours that you like and then go to purchase tester pots from your local paint shop.
- Test, test and test again. Use large swatches (A3 if possible) Paint on the back of left over wallpaper or thick card.
- Now stick your swatches up and leave them there for two to three days. Be sure to look at them at different times of the day and on different walls in the space.
- Generally matt or washable matt paint is used for walls. However, a satin paint can be used if you prefer a slightly glossier look. Remember satin paint tends to appear lighter than matt, so be sure to choose a darker shade to create the same look.
Lastly, take your time! The more time you have to consider your choices, the better the outcome.